What is the healthiest Gelatin?
What is the healthiest Gelatin?
Gelatin is a protein-rich substance derived from an animal’s collagen fibres. It has gained popularity due to its versatility as an ingredient in many popular dishes, from desserts and healthy gummies to broths and sauces. While gelatin itself may not be necessarily labelled as a health food, it does offer potential health benefits.
Understanding Gelatin and its Potential Benefits
Gelatin is derived from animal tissues, including the skin and connective tissues. The process of extracting gelatin involves boiling down the collagen fibres over a long period of time. Gelatin is extracted from the collagen-rich animal tissues resulting in a protein-rich substance with unique gelling properties called gelatin.
Gelatin offers several potential health benefits, including:
- Joint Health: Gelatin contains collagen protein, a primary component of joints and cartilage. Consuming gelatin powder as a food supplement may support joint health and reduce joint pain and associated stiffness.
- Skin Health: Collagen plays a vital role in maintaining skin elasticity and hydration. Including gelatin in your diet contributes to healthier, more hydrated skin.
- Digestive Support: Gelatin may aid in digestion by promoting gut integrity and reducing inflammation in the digestive tract. It is soothing for the gut and provides a satiating effect.
- Rich Protein Source: Gelatin is a source of protein, essential for muscle repair and overall body function. Nutraviva Beef Gelatin powder is a pure protein source, with zero cholesterol or fat.
Choosing the Healthiest Gelatin
When seeking the healthiest gelatin option, focus on these key factors:
- Source: When it comes to our food and food supplements it is important to consider not only what we eat, but what our food eats. Opt for gelatin sourced from grass-fed, pasture-raised animals. Animals that are grass fed and finished (pasture raised) are healthier and have an improved nutrient composition than grain fed animals as diverse pasture grasses are a more natural diet for cattle than corn or soy (primary ingredients in grain fed in feedlots). Part of the reason for this is the availability of a variety of beneficial secondary compounds that are found in diverse pastures which animals then graze upon. Diversity of pasture means that the animals can maintain their health and reduces the instance of interventions for disease or illness, such as antibiotics. Nutraviva stocks a Beef Gelatin powder that is a grass fed and finished powder, it available in 100g, 450g and 800g packs.
- Purity: Look for a gelatin powder with minimal processing and no additives or artificial ingredients. The purer the gelatin, the better it is for your overall health. Nutraviva Beef Gelatin is an unblended and unflavoured powder, with no additional ingredients or additives.
- Bloom Rating: A Bloom Rating is an indication of how well a gelatin will set, and also the clarity of the finished gel. Nutraviva Beef Gelatin powder is a 225 Bloom beef gelatin, meaning it has a superior set compared to many available gelatin powders and has a high degree of clarity and transparency in the finished product. This makes it ideal for creating healthy gummies and desserts.
- Non-GMO: Consider choosing a gelatin powder made from non-genetically modified (GMO) sources, ensuring it's free from harmful chemicals and genetically engineered components. At Nutraviva we are committed to providing clean sourced ingredients, that are non-GMO.
Exploring Plant-Based Alternatives
If you're a vegetarian, vegan, or prefer plant-based options, there are several plant-based alternatives offer similar gelling properties to gelatin. These include agar agar, pectin, and carrageenan. We do not stock these products on our website but they can be easily found in most supermarkets or from gourmet suppliers.
Incorporating Gelatin into Your Diet
Here are some ideas for ways to incorporate a gelatin into your diet:
- Homemade Fruit Gummies: Create healthy and delicious fruit gummies using gelatin, fruit juice, and honey for a natural sweetener.
- Bone Broth: Simmer bones and connective tissues to make a nutrient-rich bone broth that contains natural gelatin and collagen. Gelatin can also be added easily to soups, broths, stock and gravies to thicken the consistency.
- Panna Cotta: Prepare a creamy and luxurious panna cotta dessert using gelatin and your choice of milk or plant-based alternatives.
- Luxe Hot Chocolate: Adding gelatin to a hot cacao or chocolate drink makes it taste creamier, like a Spanish-style hot chocolate. It also has the benefit of being satiating and protein rich.
Check out a range of delicious recipes, including how to bloom gelatin for use in our Recipes section:
Disclaimer: As with any dietary choice, it's essential to strike a balance. A varied and balanced diet, coupled with a healthy lifestyle, is key to overall well-being. This blog post is for informational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice. Consult with your Doctor or healthcare professional regarding your individual health needs before making any changes to your health routine or starting any new dietary supplements.