Chocolate heaven in a mug with our premium collagen powder!
This delicious and healthy almond chocolate cake with collagen powder really is pure heaven in a mug. It tastes fantastic, is easy to make and is gluten free, grain free and dairy free. The added collagen powder makes it an edible beauty hit in a mug.
- 3 tbsp almond meal a.k.a. ground almonds or almond flour
- 2 tbsp Nutraviva Hydrolyzed collagen powder
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder (gluten free)
- 1 small pinch salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract – OPTIONAL but great for flavour
- To start – you can make this cake in the mug you’ll cook it in, or you can make it in a small bowl and then pour it into a mug or ramekin to cook it.
- Place the dry ingredients (almond meal, Collagen Powder, cacao, baking powder) into a small bowl/mug. Stir a little to combine.
- Add the egg, maple syrup, olive oil and vanilla to the mixture. Whisk with a fork until you have a smooth cake batter.
- Pour batter into the mug or ramekin you’re going to cook it in (if it’s not in there already). Make sure the mug/ramekin isn’t filled to the brim – you’ll need at least 2cm left at the top so it doesn’t spill over.
- Place mug/ramekin in microwave. Cook for 60 seconds – it will puff up a lot while cooking and then settle. Check on the cake. It will probably still be a little undercooked. Cook for a further 15-30 seconds until done to your liking (microwave ovens can vary a lot).
- Serve immediately while it’s nice a warm. Add toppings if you like!
- If the cake batter seems far too thick – say, more like a pudding than a batter – you can add 1-3 teaspoons of any kind of milk e.g. almond milk to thin out the batter a little.
- You can substitute another liquid sweetener in to this recipe e.g. coconut syrup, date syrup or rice malt syrup. Rice malt syrup isn’t as sweet-tasting, so you may need to increase the quantity slightly if you’re not satisfied with the result.
- This is also really yummy with a pinch of cinnamon and/or some chocolate chips stirred through as well!